We’re super eager to find young and emerging artists to explore the world of artist books. We request you to please read our guidelines closely before you apply, to get a fair idea of what this entails. If you have any further questions, we’re always available to answer them!
What is an “Artist Book”?
An artist book is an artwork in the book format. Essentially, it means that you create a unique piece of artwork that uses paper, is easy to transport like a book, it can be in an accordion format (https://tinyurl.com/y2a2cef7), fold-outs, scrolls, or any such medium that the artist chooses.
Who Can participate?
Guidelines of the artwork:
1. The artwork should be a minimum of 10 pages and a maximum of the artists’ choosing.
2. It should be a unique work created during the given time limit (6 weeks); an existing artist book will not qualify.
3. The Artist can use any medium to create the Artist Notebook such as ink, watercolor, acrylic etc. in the format of their choice.
4. In case of selection, the artist will need to provide a short concept note about the artist book that they will be undertaking.
Please note that there is no submission fee. However, upon selection, artists will be charged Rs. 3,500 – the standard participation fee for our Surface exhibition where your work will be displayed.
About the Event:
We will be selecting artists based on the application submitted to us, who will then be in touch for the next one month, while they create their individual and unique artist book. The meet up for the artist will happen in our upcoming exhibition where you will meet your fellow artists for peer-to-peer critique and presentation of your work. We will be selecting upto 10 artists whose Artist Book will be displayed at the Surface Exhibition. (dates to be announced soon)
Process of selection:
1. You send in your application without any registration fee.
2. On selection, you are essentially getting selected for our next Surface exhibition. Standard Surface participation fee of Rs.3,500 will apply to secure your position
3. You will have 6 weeks to create the Artist book. We will arrange some online sessions to guide you and to connect you with fellow artists.
4. Once completed, you will send us the physical artwork in mid-January, ready for display.
5. We will display your work in the next Surface exhibition, where you will also get an opportunity to display it and be a part of our offline community.
1. Deadline of application: 20th November’ 2021
2. Announcement of selected artist : 23rd November’ 2021
3. Deadline to submit the Artist’s Book: 16th January’ 2021